Monday, 20 November 2017

Anthropophilia

"Okay, if you'll just sit there," I said vaguely, indicating a desk, "I'll get to you in a second. Fill this out, please?"

I handed her the paper to fill out.

"Hey, so, yeah, I didn't know this was happening today."
"You didn't know you were coming here? You should have been notified."
"I was. Today."

"Oh, that sucks."

I vaguely wondered whether my client would call me unprofessional for using the term 'that sucks'. She didn't comment, so I took that as good sign.

"So, yeah, I totally need a pen."
"Totally?"
"Totally."
"Hella," I said, passing her a pen.

I surprised even myself for using the word 'hella'. I only really picked that up from my girlfriend, and have no idea what it means. Then again, I also use 'Zounds!', and I got that from Christopher Marlowe. Again, my client didn't comment.

"I got you a present," she said. "Happy birthday."
"Thanks," I said automatically as she handed over the stack of Post-Its I'd accidentally left on the desk. "It's what I've always wanted."
"I know. I'm awesome."
"You are."


Slowly but surely, I'm beginning to engage with people.

No comments: